Tuesday 30 April 2013

Ixsir Grande Reserve 2009




Have you read The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho? It is the story of a
young shepherd from Andalousia who, after a recurrent dream, headed to
the East for a treasure hunt... And that treasure hunt became, with
the help of an alchemist, a spiritual quest of his own self, of his
dreams and destiny. This story is a little bit that of Gabriel Rivero,
the spanish winemaker who embarked on a journey which, with the help
of Hady Kahale and Naji Seikali, led him to Batroun, where he is
making Ixsir. What a beautiful adventure!

The quest of Arab medieval alchemy was that of a liquid substance
named "Al-Iksir", or "Ixsir", that would allow for the transmutation
of base metals into gold. What a magical name for a wine! I am sure
that when the three friends, Gabriel, Hady and Naji, thought of a name
for their project, they thought of magic, of alchemy, of dreams and
ambition.

It is precisely amibition that characterizes the domaine today, the
will of using the most modern techniques to enhance the natural
quality of the Lebanese terroir, and it works!

The Cabernet-Sauvignon and Syrah blend is the one I prefer, and that
is the reason why Ixsir Grande Reserve 2009 seduces me. Its oaky and
soft spicy notes, associated to the strength of red berries, give it a
strong Mediterranean character that brings me joy. But above all, I
must admit that I like to think of myself as an alchemist when I open

a bottle of Ixsir Grande Reserve... — with IXSIR.

No comments:

Post a Comment